Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Easy DIY Scrabble Tile Holder Picture Stands

Repurposing wooden Scrabble tiles has been the rage for quite awhile now.  I've seen them used at weddings, on Christmas ornaments, as coasters, framed in wall crosswords, monogram necklaces, etc.  Every time I see a cheap Scrabble game at a garage sale or thrift store, I have to pick it up because there are so many fun uses for them!  I've even sold my extra tiles & holders on Ebay for a small profit.  Here is a simple name display in my daughters room.  
The stands have long been forgotten and discarded.  Here's a super simple, yet modern way to use them!  For the picture stand project, get some basic wooden Scrabble tile holders.
I love the natural wood look, but my room decor didn't have any other light wood so I painted them.  Use them as is or paint them whatever color your little heart desires, my white took a couple coats.
Once the paint is dry, cut some 3M wall stickies in half (lengthwise) and apply to the flat back of holder.  I know, brain science, right?
Now find some small postcards, pictures or cards to display and figure out where you want to hang them.  I tried a few different options around the house (that's my sons room below), but I  finally settled for the personal photos of family for a spot in my bare hallway.  I had to add a little piece of tape to the back of the photos to keep them from falling off when someone walked by, but I don't think the heavier cards would require that.
Pretty easy, right?  What projects or gifts have you used Scrabble tiles or tile holders for?   

1 comment:

  1. Cute! And so smart to use those when most crafts only feature the letters!

    ReplyDelete