Monday, January 20, 2014

DIY Cute Dinosaur Plant Holders


For Christmas, I was trying to find some creative ideas for homemade gifts.  I saw these cute plant holders that are so fun and modern.  They were really simple and cheap.  I even found
the plastic dinosaurs in a free bin at a thrift store.  I like cheap, but I LOVE free! 

Here is what you do: 
-First, I took a small exacto knife (purchased from Dollar Tree)
and carefully cut the holes for my plants.
-Next, I painted the dinosaurs.  They took several coats.  I had 8 oz. sample paint
colors from Lowe's that I got for free using coupons found as magazine inserts,
sometimes you can print them too.  Keep an eye out for these.  They are great for crafts!
Next time I will prime them before I paint and think that will cut down on coats needed. 
-After the paint was good & dry, you add some dirt that came with the plants to fill the legs and
then fill the main body with the plant and it's roots.  Water according to plant.
(Some plants may require drainage- in which you'd drill holes in feet)
I originally wanted to do succulents, but they were out of season so I took what I
could find.  One plant (yellow dino)died pretty quickly and the other is doing great (mint dino).
Next time I will use air plants.
I have also seen turtles, giraffes, elephants and other animals used, 
so keep your eye out for those when you're thrifting.

Here I have them displayed with my Christmas table setting on my DIY $2 pedestal mint trays
and my coffee filter and book page Christmas trees.
Together everything was less than $8.  What do you think?
Would you display one in your house or give one as a gift?
I think they would be so cute on an elementary teachers desk! 

7 comments:

  1. I would totally give one as a gift, both to a teacher (My mom's teaching kindergarten) or a younger kid. If Daylen and I had children, I think it's something I'd enjoy doing with them. :) What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing, Bree. I'm excited about your blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! My 1st comment! Hahaha Thanks Nadine! We'll see how it goes. Also, I used to love writing, but it's been so long! So I'll take any pointers I can get on my writing technique too….as long as it's free of course. ;)

      Delete
    2. But of course! It's all free. ;)

      I'm enjoying your writing style very much already.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! I'm going to actually keep some of my kids toys that I wanna throw away, and give this a try! Maybe horses or unicorns for Maggie and transformers for Harry..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A unicorn would be awesome! I want to see pictures when you do it!

      Delete
  3. Love this idea! So glad I have crafty friends who understand me passion for DIY and FREE! (Erin's plant animals are also awesome!)
    I'm excited to follow along your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love how big her animals are and that they are a little more realistic for home decor. I did mine and thought it was so funny that when I went to her house for New Years, she had just painted hers.

      Delete